How can I prevent getting cellulitis from insect bites?
You can lower the risk of cellulitis from a bug bite by trimming fingernails and taking these steps:
- Clean a bug bite with soap and water.
- Take an over-the-counter oral antihistamine to relieve itching. This medicine may work better than a topical cream.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment to the bite area if the skin is broken.
- Cover the bite with a bandage to keep germs out and lower the temptation to scratch.
- Apply fresh medication and bandages daily or anytime the area gets dirty.