Is an atrioventricular canal defect preventable?
There’s no way to prevent an atrioventricular canal defect, but if you're pregnant, you can reduce the risk of your baby developing a congenital heart defect by:
- Avoiding recreational drugs, alcohol and smoking or using tobacco products.
- Getting all necessary vaccinations to prevent illness.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Managing chronic health conditions.
- Taking prenatal vitamins, including folic acid, as directed by your healthcare provider.