How is bibliophobia diagnosed?
There aren’t any tests to diagnose fear of books. Your healthcare provider can diagnose the condition based on discussions with you about:
- Your symptoms.
- How long they’ve been happening.
- Whether they’re interfering in your life.
Your healthcare provider can diagnose bibliophobia if your fear of books:
- Causes extreme anxiety.
- Leads to significant stress or affects your daily life.
- Has been happening for at least six months.
- Is out of proportion with any actual danger.
- Makes you avoid books or specific situations that might involve books.
- Produces physical symptoms of anxiety or panic attacks.
Your healthcare provider also might recommend testing for a learning disability, which may be at the root of the phobia.