How can I prevent heart disease?
You can't prevent some types of cardiovascular disease, such as congenital heart disease. But lifestyle changes can reduce your risk of many types of cardiovascular disease.
You can reduce your cardiovascular risks by:
- Avoiding all tobacco products.
- Managing other health conditions, such as diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
- Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Eating a diet low in saturated fat and sodium.
- Exercising at least 30 to 60 minutes per day on most days.
- Reducing and managing stress.