How can I prevent cauda equina syndrome?
It may not be possible to prevent all of the causes of cauda equina syndrome. But, you might be able to reduce your risk of a herniated disk, the most common cause of the syndrome. Try the following tips:
- Avoid wearing high-heeled shoes. These types of shoes can misalign your spine.
- Stop smoking. Avoid using other tobacco products as well because they can weaken your disks.
- Exercise. Try exercises that strengthen your back and abdominal muscles.
- Lift properly. Bend your knees and keep your back straight when you lift something instead of bending at your waist.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Extra weight adds extra pressure to your lower back.
- Practice good posture. That will reduce strain on your spine.
- Stretch. Stretch your body periodically, especially after you’ve been sitting for a long time.