How can I prevent bacillary dysentery?
The best way to prevent bacillary dysentery is to practice good hygiene. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after going to the bathroom and before handling food.
Other steps to reduce your risk of infection include:
- Don’t share personal items with other people, such as towels.
- Don’t use water unless you are sure it’s sterile (free of germs). Strategies include boiling water, using chlorine tablets or using bottled water. This includes water for drinking, cooking and brushing your teeth, as well as for ice.
- Stay away from other people who are ill.
- Thoroughly cook all food.
- Wash all fresh fruits or vegetables with clean water, or peel before eating.