To keep your heart as healthy as possible and prevent complications of ACHD:
- Eat a well-balanced, nutritious diet of heart-healthy foods.
- Exercise regularly (but only with your cardiologist’s approval).
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- See a cardiologist regularly throughout your life to monitor and manage ACHD and detect any complications.
- Tell all of your healthcare providers about the heart defect, all medications you take and what surgeries you’ve had.
- Understand the specific type of heart defect you have and what the possible complications are.
- If you plan to become pregnant, talk to your cardiologist, obstetrician and primary care doctor well in advance. They will help you understand and manage the risks throughout your pregnancy.