Your treatment plan depends on your facial structure, age and medical history. Treatment options for condylar resorption may include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications, which can help slow the condition’s progress.
- Bite splints or night guards to protect your teeth from damage due to bruxism (grinding and clenching).
- Condylectomy, which is surgery to remove your mandibular condyles. After removing them, your surgeon reshapes and repairs your jaw to restore proper function and improve appearance.
- Orthodontics, including braces and retainers, which can correct overbite or teeth alignment problems.
- Orthognathic surgery, which repositions your upper and lower jaws. This may be done in combination with TMJ reconstruction.