Possible causes of condylar resorption include:
- Autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma and systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Avascular necrosis.
- Hormonal changes, especially those that occur in women during adolescent development.
- Infection in your jaw joint.
- Orthodontic treatment or jaw surgery.
- Reactive arthritis.
- Trauma to your jaw from impact, such as playing sports.
Some people develop condylar resorption without an obvious cause, known as idiopathic condylar resorption. Idiopathic condylar resorption is rare.