Treatment for esophagitis depends on its cause. While medications that block acid production may be recommended, other medications may be prescribed for cases of esophagitis that are caused by infection.
While you are being treated for esophagitis, you can take the following steps to help limit discomfort:
- Avoid spicy foods such as those with pepper, chili powder, curry and nutmeg.
- Avoid acidic foods and beverages such as tomatoes, oranges, grapefruits and their juices. Instead, try nectars and imitation fruit drinks with vitamin C.
- Include more soft foods such as applesauce, cooked cereals, mashed potatoes, custards, puddings and high-protein shakes in your diet.
- Take small bites and chew your food thoroughly.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco.