Preventing tick bites is the best way to prevent ehrlichiosis. Tick bites are best prevented by:
- Avoiding areas where ticks are present, such as woods with thick ground cover and by staying on open cleared trails.
- Wearing light colored long sleeved shirts and tucking pant legs into your boots.
- Treating your clothing and outdoor gear with protective chemicals, like permethrin.
- Using insect repellants containing DEET.
When you come indoors after spending time in nature — or even in grassy areas of your own yard — you should:
- Check your body and clothing for ticks.
- Shower soon after returning inside.
- Check any outdoor pets or equipment for ticks.