- Cover all exposed skin and/or clothing with an insect repellent containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus. Carefully read instructions for use of these products in children under age 3.
- Wear long sleeves, pants and hat when outside and especially when hiking in wooded areas or enjoying time near water.
- Empty all standing water that collects outside your home – from birdbaths, buckets/pots, sprinkling cans, trash containers, flower pots, toys and kiddie pools. Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitos.
- Use screens on doors and windows. Make sure screens are intact; repair any holes.
- Avoid outside time at dawn and dusk if possible (or follow tips above). These are the times when mosquitos are most active.