menu search

1 Answer

  • A cool mist vaporizer may help soothe dry and irritated airways. Your doctor may recommend a vaporizer.
  • Allow your child to rest as needed.
  • Call the doctor if your child's symptoms worsen or begin to return.
  • Cough medicines are usually not helpful and not recommended.
  • Do not allow anyone to smoke around your child or in your home.
  • Give your child all medicines as instructed by the doctor.

When a child has a severe case of croup and has to go to the hospital, care may include the following:

  • Breathing treatments (aerosols or inhalations)
  • A cool mist tent
  • Rest
  • Medications given by mouth
  • Medications given intravenously (IV)
  • Medications given by injection (shot)


Welcome to Helpof Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.