Treatments for COVID-19 vary depending on the severity of your symptoms. If you’re not in the hospital or don’t need supplemental oxygen, no specific antiviral or immunotherapy is recommended.
Depending on the severity of your COVID symptoms, you may need:
- Supplemental oxygen (given through tubing inserted into your nostrils).
- Some people may benefit from an infusion of monoclonal antibodies.
- Antiviral medications may reduce the risk of hospitalization and death in certain patients with COVID-19.
- Mechanical ventilation (oxygen through a tube inserted down your trachea). You are given medications to keep you comfortable and sleepy as long as you’re receiving oxygen through a ventilator.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). You continue to receive treatment while a machine pumps your blood outside your body. It takes over the function of your body’s lungs and heart.